At Emily Jones, we’re committed to keeping our products locally made with as many domestically sourced materials as we can. It’s so important to us that our designs go out into the world with a positive impact for our customers, our artisans, our suppliers, and of course the environment. It has to be a win-win for all.
Most of us see a Made in the USA label as desirable, but for the sake of our overwhelming enthusiasm on the subject, let’s talk about what’s so amazing about products that are made in the USA!
1. It’s better for the environment. The closer distance of sourcing materials and shipping translates to reduced carbon emissions. We also can’t vouch for the environmental impact of foreign manufacturing companies, but we can trust that American-made products are manufactured to a certain environmental standard. Not always perfect admittedly, but at least it’s regulated.
2. It provides jobs to Americans.
And we’re not just talking about those involved directly in manufacturing a company’s product. Manufacturing has a trickling effect. For example, the manufacturing facility requires electricity, which leads to growth at the electrical company. The employees' lunch breaks support local restaurants, etc. The Economic Policy Institute
(EPI) estimates that for each position in manufacturing, manufacturing output supports more than 1.4 jobs elsewhere in the economy.
3. It stimulates the economy. For the above reasons, and also because it generates tax revenue.
4. It helps support ethical manufacturing. Foreign labor laws aren’t the same as ours, and in some countries, manufacturing is not as regulated as it is here. We can greatly reduce the possibility of poor work conditions or employee exploitation by buying American-made products.
5. It helps guarantee product safety. We also don’t have the same safety regulations as our foreign counterparts. This might not be a dealbreaker for items like fast fashion, but it definitely is for things like baby gear or kids’ toys.
We’ll also venture to say that many times the quality of American made products is higher than imported. However, we won’t make a blanket statement that that’s always the case. It really depends on so many factors.
We hope this helps inspire you to seek out more Made in the USA choices when you can. If you were thinking of ordering one of our locally made, recycled leather handbags and accessories, consider this the sign you were looking for!